I read this line a couple of days ago, “Are we really ready to enter a year that is called 202(won)!?!” and wondered the same thing… are we all ready for the New Year? We began 2020 with absolutely no idea of what was in store for all of mankind, so, do we enter 2021 with zero expectations so that our hopes don’t get crushed again?
Unlike previous years, when we typically started out with a lot of joy, we are entering this new year on a mellow note. The harsh reality of lives lost and the healthcare workers who are struggling to cope with the number of infections on a daily basis is something we all have to deal with. On the other hand, we can take solace in the fact that all our near and dear ones are safe and healthy, and that hope is spreading in the form of vaccinations. That hope, though far away, may be the only thing we have to hang on to as we prepare for 2021.
I ended 2020 with a list summarizing the year, and I’d like to start this year with a few lists too, showcasing things I missed in the past year, new practices that have become a norm and what I’d like 2021 to have.
What I Missed Doing in 2020
- Attending college with my friend ;-).
- Working in the preschool where I was just starting to get acquainted with the children and staff.
- Hanging out with my girlfriends, especially for each of our birthdays.
- Celebrating festivals with friends (I am glad that we were at least able to see each other and share food even if we did not gather in one place).
- Our annual trip to the Bay Area during Thanksgiving/Christmas.
- Our road trips.
- Dining-in at our favorite restaurants on special occasions.
Practices we started in 2020 and are likely to follow in 2021
- A pair of masks and a small bottle of hand sanitizer are always in the car.
- Groceries and packages are wiped down, to this day.
- We remind each other to wash/sanitize our hands regularly.
- Phone calls to the mothers turned into video calls, even though we do not have much news to share every day (our faces probably give them a much needed change from their daily routines and vice versa).
- We learned to enjoy the little things in life — the walks we took together, the laughs we shared while watching movies that we had seen god knows how many times, relishing our favorite foods, and trying to keep each other entertained and sane when things got rough.
I want 2021 to have..
- World peace! (please excuse the clichéd beauty pageant answer). This comes especially in the wake of the Christmas morning explosion in downtown Nashville and the numerous riots and bombings that have happened across the nation and the world.
- Vaccinations for all.
- More morning walks with Ms. G (resuming the routine we had going for a major part of the pandemic).
- A return to normalcy, whatever that may mean in the coming months.
- Positive vibes for everyone, so that we can slowly start our journey to recovery in all sectors of life.
Many people make resolutions for the New Year; I too have tried making some in the past, only to break them within the first few months. Oh well, who am I kidding!!! I break my resolutions in the first few weeks itself. So, this year, I am not making any. Maybe, that way, I’ll be able to steer through the year more successfully. Do you make and keep resolutions, or are you like me? Do share in the comments section below.
Here’s to a Peaceful, Joyful, and Healthful 2021!!!